WARNING: Poorly written and probably boring post about life motivation from a TED Talk. Skip to tl;dr if lack of interest
So today I rediscovered how much I enjoy TED Talks thanks to a link on Reddit about teaching children science. TED Talks are such an interesting thing and cover such a vast amount of topics that just about anyone can find some interest in them..
If you are unfamiliar with TED Talks check out http://www.ted.com/.
So the talk that really has me thinking right now and that relates very much to my project with Haley is a talk given by Cesar Kuriyama about what he calls 'One second every day'. In his talk he shares a project that he is doing where he goes and records just one second of every day of his life. One of the things that really struck me was his realization that he had while going through his project that he needed to do more interesting things with his life that would make his one second videos better.
What I really like about this is not that it makes his videos more interesting to others but it makes his life more interesting to him. He talks about how it would be interesting if everyone took one second videos and there was a website where you could type February 13, 2013 and see one second of everyone's life there. Sure I can see how that would hold my interest for an internet minute but I think the real value here is the interest of the person taking that one second.
In a year I will go back through these photos and they will bring up the memories that are associated with them. Why shouldn't they be as interesting and unique as possible? Sure in everyone's life there are going to be normal and boring days but I'm going to try to keep those to a minimum. If I take at least 10-30 minutes every day to try something new or revisit some person, place or thing that is out of my ordinary day-to-day I believe that not only will I have better pictures for my 365 Project but I will be able to look back on those memories and think "Yup, that was a good year/decade/life. I had a lot of fun."
tl;dr - No more wasting all of my free time in front of a TV or Computer. I'm pushing myself to be more interesting!
Like.
ReplyDeleteUpvote
Delete